Home
The Butchart Chronicles : July 17, 2014

Photo: The Rose Garden in 1956

The Rose Garden was created in 1929 from a plan prepared by Butler S. Sturtevant, a landscape architect from Seattle, WA.  Its creation followed a winter of heavy work leveling the site for the garden.  The area, which was once Jennie Butchart's vegetable garden, lay on a slope from the trees of the orchard at the side of what is now the Concert Lawn.  It is the only area of The Gardens where the plants are meticulously labelled - because Jennie also did so when she tended it.

The Rose Garden in 1956