The Butchart Gardens is looking for an individual to fill the following position:
DEPARTMENT: Arts and Entertainment
POSITION: Technician Level 2
This is a position for an individual with previous audio and entertainment experience. Working with the Head Audio Technician and reporting to the Entertainment Manager, this individual will be involved with entertainment activities that fall under the jurisdiction of The Butchart Gardens. He or she will be expected to operate audio and theatrical equipment for the nightly entertainment and weekly fireworks shows, mix monitors and assist with the FOH audio mix, assist the performers, and work in conjunction with other Gardens’ staff. The position requires substantial initiative and the ability to make decisions. Because heavy lifting will be required, suitable physical fitness is a necessity. The workday will primarily be afternoons and evenings with occasional long days and overtime. Additional days may also be required in accordance with the summer performance schedule.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Assist with the load in and set up performer’s equipment
- Operate audio and theatrical equipment as required
- Ensure performances start on time
- Ensure all performers’ pre-show requirements are met
- Ensure maintenance of venues and equipment
- Ensure audience counts are collected and recorded
- Oversee other crew members as required
- Update Entertainment Manager on status of performances
- Assist the Fireworks department when required
- Assist with the organization, set-up, maintenance and cleaning of work areas
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Audio mixing experience
- Intermediate knowledge of audio, lighting, stage carpentry and rigging
- Knowledgeable of current entertainment industry practices
- Ability to deal diplomatically with entertainers, audience, and other staff
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Ability to supervise others as Crew Chief
- Ability to apply creative judgement
- Good troubleshooting skills
- Good organizational skills
- General knowledge of common computer programs: (Word, Excel)
- Good physical condition and the ability to do heavy lifting. Individuals with repetitive strain or back injury should not apply.
- Comfortable working at moderate heights
- Flexibility in scheduling of hours
- Valid BC Drivers License
- Good communication skills – written and verbal
- Desire to be a team player
- Ability to safely operate hand tools and power tools
This is a seasonal position, offering up to 40 hours per week from June 27 to September 2, 2017. Weekend and evening work will be required. Candidates must be prepared to work outdoors in both hot and inclement weather. Remuneration will be commensurate with this level of responsibility and the qualifications of the successful candidate.
We will be accepting applications until 5:00 PM May 12, 2017.
Interested individuals should apply to: Human Resources,
The Butchart Gardens, Box 4010, Victoria BC, V8X 3X4. Fax: (250) 544-4455
We sincerely appreciate all applications, however, only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.