Company name: The Butchart Gardens, Ltd. (privately held)
Operating name: The Butchart Gardens
Colloquial name: The Gardens
Pronunciation: butch-art (butch as in Butch Cassidy)
Treatment of name: The Butchart Gardens and The Gardens are referred to in the singular. That is, “The Butchart Gardens is” or “The Gardens is”. “The Gardens” is used in the same way one would use “The Butchart Gardens”. If referring to the various gardens within The Butchart Gardens one would state “the gardens”.
Location: The Butchart Gardens is located on Vancouver Island, 23 km (14 miles) north of
Victoria, and 20 km (12.5 miles) south of the Vancouver-Victoria ferry terminal
at Swartz Bay. Our street address is 800 Benvenuto Avenue in Brentwood Bay.
- The Gardens began in 1904.
- Recognized as a National Historic Site of Canada in 2004.
- Jennie and Robert Pim Butchart (original owners)
- Robin Clarke (owner) and great grand daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Butchart
- 22ha (55-acres) of privately owned gardens open to the public
- Set within 54.6ha (135-acres) of privately held property
- Close to a million visitors per year
- 50 full time gardeners with additional 12 part time
- 26 greenhouses covering 1 acre
- Staff complement - 290 (off peak season) to 550 (peak season)