COVID-19 Update: As of 9 AM, March 26th, The Butchart Gardens is temporarily closed to the public. See details by clicking here.
We have established Garden Etiquette for the enjoyment and safety of visitors and to provide a tranquil atmosphere for everyone while visiting The Butchart Gardens. We reserve the right to deny entry or remove any person(s) acting in contravention of our rules. Thank you for your cooperation.
- All persons on Butchart Gardens' property must follow the direction of staff.
- Selfie sticks are not permitted. Photography is welcome, but should not interfere with the enjoyment of other visitors; do not block pathways with tripods.
- Smoking and vaping are not permitted anywhere on the premises.
- Visitors must conduct themselves in a respectful manner; obscene language or clothing, abusive behaviour or violence will not be tolerated and may result in removal from The Gardens.
- Youths and children must be supervised.
- By pre-arrangement through our Group Services Department, chaperones responsible for the care and control of child and youth groups may be provided with complimentary admission.
- Wheelchairs and children’s strollers are available, for a small refundable deposit, at the Information Centre; do not mistreat or use these items for any other purpose.
- Visitors with wider-than-average wheelchairs, mobility scooters, or strollers must be patient and use extra caution as certain areas may not be easily accessible.
- Costumes and cosplay of any type, including historic or period dress, masks or attire that may create a distraction are not permitted as they could be mistaken for entertainers or interpreters hired by The Gardens and could detract from the experience of other visitors. Insurance and security considerations require strict adherence to this policy.
- Wedding parties, wedding photos, ceremonies, or clothing resembling wedding attire are not permitted in The Gardens, except as authorized during our Wedding Season, January 15 to March 15.
- Quiet voices are expected in all areas of The Gardens.
- Please stay on paths and be respectful of our plants; do not step in flower beds, pick flowers or fruit.
- No alcohol is allowed on the premises; our restaurants will be pleased to serve you.
- Only BC Certified Guide & Service dogs permitted in restaurants and Seed & Gift Store
- Pets are not permitted inside The Gardens December 1 - January 6 between 3:00 PM and 8:00 PM. At all other times of the year pets are welcome to visit provided they are on a short leash (4ft. maximum, no retractable leashes), and under control at all times. Owners are required to clean up after them.
- Throwing, catching or kicking games, running or jogging.
- Wheeled-shoes, rollerblades, bicycles, scooters, skateboards or other recreational wheeled devices.
- Use of drones or kites.
- Music or unauthorized musical performances.
- Use of flashes for photographing or filming our Firework Shows.
- Distribution of any outside literature.
- Dispersal of ashes.
- Use of BBQ's of any kind.