While the Butchart Gardens welcomes well-behaved leashed pets, we do not permit disobedient owners. During the past Christmas season, we received complaints from visitors concerned about safety and poor pick-up practices. While most owners adhere to our short-leash and pick-up policy, our narrow pathways, steps and festive lighting can make manoeuvring around pets difficult. To that end, we have implemented the following change to our pet policy:
From December 1 through January 6 pets are not permitted between 3:00PM and 8:00PM.
During all other times, pets are welcome at The Butchart Gardens. When visiting The Gardens with your pet:
- Please ensure you are fully aware of what your pet is doing at all times.
- Pick up after your pet so that others do not step in anything unpleasant. Waste bags are available when you enter The Gardens as well as in the parking lot, at the Ross Fountain, the Carousel Patio and the Wharf Lookout. Litter can be deposited into garbage cans designated for trash.
- Use a 4-foot maximum length leash in order to keep your pet close by. No retractable leashes permitted.
- Avoid interactions with other pets to maintain the comfort and safety of all our visitors.
Inside our facilities, Carousel and Tour Boats
- Only BC Certified Guide & Service dogs are permitted in our restaurants, Seed & Gift Store, on the Carousel and on board tour boats. Please note that BC Guide/Service Dogs are certified through the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General, Security Programs Division. Owners will be asked to show appropriate ID, and if you are traveling from outside of British Columbia you will be asked to show comparable ID from your home jurisdiction.