While the Butchart Gardens welcomes well-behaved leashed pets, we do not permit disobedient owners. Pets are not permitted inside The Gardens during our Christmas season December 1 – January 6 between the hours of 3:00pm and 8:00pm, pets are welcome from 8:00pm until closing. During previous Christmas seasons, we received complaints from visitors concerned about safety and poor pick-up practices. While most owners adhere to our short-leash and pick-up policy, our narrow pathways, steps and festive lighting can make manoeuvring around pets difficult. To that end, we have implemented the following change to our pet policy:
During all other times, pets are welcome at The Butchart Gardens during operating hours. When visiting The Gardens with your pet:
- Please ensure you are fully aware of what your pet is doing at all times.
- For the safety of all visitors and to continue to allow dogs to visit, owners must be keep pets on-leash and no farther than 1 meter/3 feet. We would prefer you did not use a retractable leash.
- Pick up after your pet so that others do not step in anything unpleasant. Waste bags are available when you enter The Gardens as well as near the Visitor Centre, at the Ross Fountain, and the Carousel Patio. Litter can be deposited into garbage cans designated for trash.
- Avoid interactions with other pets to maintain the comfort and safety of all our visitors.
Owners who do not comply with this policy will be asked to leave, and continued abuse of this rule will force The Gardens to ban dogs permanently, which we do not wish to do.
Inside our facilities, Carousel and Tour Boats
- Only BC Certified Guide & Service dogs are permitted in our food service venues, Seed & Gift Store, on the Carousel and on board tour boats.
- As the Guide Dog & Service Dog Act of BC does not certify therapy, companion or emotional support dogs, we do not permit these dogs in our food service venues, Seed and Gift store, carousel or tour boats.