Accessing The Gardens
Yes! Our walking paths are gradual and easy to tackle, making it easy to explore with little ones.
The Butchart Gardens is over 115 years old. Some pathways are therefore narrow, and as the gardens are built around an old limestone quarry with gardens stretching down to the shoreline, there are pathways with a steeper grade.
Paths with steeper grades are located as follows, and alternate routes are noted by signage and indicated on our visitor map:
- Between the Concert Lawn and the Rose Garden
- In the Rose Garden
- Between the Star Pond and the Japanese Garden
- In the Japanese Garden
- Between the bus parking lots and the Gift Store
- Between the Statue of Annabelle and the Carousel
All public areas of The Gardens are wheelchair accessible, except one lookout in the Sunken Garden known as “The Mound,” and the path to the wharf.
- Restaurants, Gift Store and the Carousel are wheelchair accessible.
- Close parking is available on request.
- Only motorized and standard wheelchairs are permitted; however, the compact-style of a four-wheeled motorized wheelchair is more suitable to our pathways.
- Complimentary wheelchair rental is available with a $10 deposit. No reservations required and please note that loaner wheelchairs do not have handbrakes.
If you wish to rent a motorized scooter, please contact Motion Specialties directly at 250-656-6228 to arrange delivery to The Gardens for your visit. The Butchart Gardens does not have scooters on site to rent.
All of the washrooms on the grounds are outfitted with baby changing stations for your convenience.
Complimentary strollers are available on a first-come, first-served basis from the Visitor Centre ($10 refundable deposit).
Tickets and Planning
No. Tickets are available upon arrival.
With the exception of Christmas (Dec. 1 – Jan. 6th) daily admission is sold at our high season rate and is not date specific. Should you purchase admission and visit during our low or shoulder seasons, you will be refunded the difference upon arrival.
During Entertainment Special Events, busy Christmas dates and Firework Saturdays, heavy traffic may result in congestion at our Admission Gates and parking lots may reach capacity. On these dates early arrival is recommended as The Gardens may close temporarily when parking lots are full. Please check #butcharttraffic for up-to-date arrival information.
Upon your arrival, you will be asked to provide the credit card used to purchase your online admission. Please ensure you have this card ready.
Note: Gardens’ Admission purchased online does not include expedited entry.
A Special Event happens 1 – 3 times annually in the summer. It is a highly-anticipated concert; the date and time vary each year. Our concert calendar, including the Special Event day(s), is published every spring.
The Gardens are open on Special Event days to the public, but may reach capacity in the evening closer to the concert time.
Re-admission from the previous day or same day re-admission will not be permitted on Special Event dates.
Notice to 12 Month Pass holders
- 12 Month Passes are not valid for complimentary admission after 2:30pm. Admission will be charged for entry up until 2:30pm and refunded if Pass Holders depart by 4:00pm.
- The Bring a Friend promotion is not available on Special Event dates after 2:30pm. Admission will be charged for entry up until 2:30pm and 10% refunded if they depart by 4:00pm.
You can view our interactive map online ahead of time, or you can find printed maps at our Visitor Centre, available in 22 languages.
All parking is free. We accommodate cars, bicycles and RVs. Parking for people with disabilities is also available.
Our dock is designed for dinghy docking. All dinghies must depart the dock before The Gardens close. Please refer to our mooring diagram before your arrival. For local marina information and UTM coordinators, refer to our wharf information PDF.
While the Butchart Gardens welcomes well-behaved leashed pets, we do not permit disobedient owners. During the past Christmas season, we received complaints from visitors concerned about safety and poop. While most owners adhere to our short-leash and pick-up policy, our narrow pathways, steps and festive lighting can make manoeuvring around pets difficult. To that end, we have implemented the following change to our pet policy.
From December 1 through January 6 pets will not be permitted between 3:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
During all other times, pets are welcome at The Butchart Gardens. When visiting The Gardens with your pet:
- Please ensure you are fully aware of what your pet is doing at all times.
- Pick up after your pet so that others do not step in anything unpleasant. Waste bags are available when you enter The Gardens as well as in the parking lot, at the Ross Fountain, the Carousel Patio and the Wharf Lookout. Litter can be deposited into garbage cans designated for trash.
- Use a 4-foot maximum length leash in order to keep your pet close by. No retractable leashes permitted.
- Avoid interactions with other pets to maintain the comfort and safety of all our visitors.
Inside our facilities, Carousel and Tour Boats
- Only BC Certified Guide & Service dogs are permitted in our restaurants, Seed & Gift Store, on the Carousel and on board tour boats. Please note that BC Guide/Service Dogs are certified through the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General, Security Programs Division. Owners will be asked to show the appropriate ID, and if you are traveling from outside of British Columbia you will be asked to show comparable ID from your home jurisdiction.
Our designated picnicking areas are adjacent to the main parking lot and on the concert lawn.
BBQ’s of any kind are not permitted.
If it rains—or will rain imminently!—our staff distribute hundreds of umbrellas throughout the grounds and parking lots so you can borrow one and stay dry.
No costumes, historical or period dress are permitted at The Gardens.
For the safety and enjoyment of all visitors, selfie sticks are not permitted.
If possible, we ask you use your tripod as a monopod, and do not block the paths.
Services & Amenities
Yes, our Visitor Centre can hold luggage and other small items free of charge while you visit The Gardens.
Please turn in and report any lost items to the Visitor Centre. You can also collect items at the Visitor Centre.
Our Visitor Centre sells postage stamps and houses a mailbox for you to mail postcards to friends and family.
Yes. All Butchart Gardens’ seed is certified to enter the USA. Just ask one of our staff for the regulation sticker.
Pay phones are available in the bus parking lot. If you need help finding a pay phone, please ask a staff member for assistance.
Mobile first aid assistance is readily available and we encourage you to accept the help of our well-trained First Aid Attendants. If you experience or witness an injury, mishap or emergency, please notify any staff member immediately, report to our Visitor Centre, or call 250-652-4422. Our staff are well-equipped to assist you with any injury or medical incident and will ensure the incident is properly documented. Band-aids, anti-nausea and other comfort medications are available for sale in the Information Centre.