What’s in Bloom Now? Garden Updates December 1 – 7
By Thea Hegland
Thousands of bulbs sparkle and shine as The Gardens are lit up for the festive season. The soothing scent of fresh greenery evokes a sense of peace as the Cedar boughs that line the pathways lead the way through the Twelve Days of Christmas.
Cedar boughs that line the pathways lead the way through the Twelve Days of Christmas
Creative winter arrangements flowing with mixed greenery and berries can be found outdoors in cement urns, while approximately 2200 Poinsettias fill the indoor displays in traditional reds, winter whites and soft pinks (pictured above).
With all the excitement of Christmas brings, it is easy to miss the little things that are happening out in the garden. Sweet little Bellis perennis (English daisy) brighten up winter troughs and planters, vibrant yellow Mahonia x media ‘Charity’ is a bright beam of sunshine in many areas of the garden, pink flowering Camellia japonica ‘Kanji’ is bold and beautiful on otherwise dull winter day.
Meanwhile, the gardening staff have been very busy planning the next stages in the garden. Newly rooted cuttings are being potted up in the greenhouses while preliminary designs are being created for the Spring Prelude. Always keeping the tempo at a steady rhythm, the show goes on.
The indoor Spring Prelude Garden, Open January 15 – March 15 annually.
PLANTS THAT ARE CURRENTLY BLOOMING
- Anthurium (Flamingo flower)
- Aucuba japonica (Spotted laurel)
- Bellis (English daisy)
- Bergenia (Elephant’s ears)
- Callicarpa (Beautyberry)
- Catalpa (Indian bean tree)
- Davidia (Dove tree)
- Erica (Heather)
- Euonymus europaeus (Spindle tree)
- Euphorbia pulcherrina (Poinsettia)
- Garrya elliptica (Silk- tassel bush)
- Helleborus (Christmas rose)
- Ilex verticillata (Winterberry)
- Jasminium nudiflorum (Winter jasmine)
- Mahonia x media ‘Charity’ (Oregon grape)
- Medinilla magnifica
- Nandina domestica (Heavenly bamboo)
- Ophiopogon planiscapus (Black mondo grass)
- Pieris (Lily -of – the valley shrub)
- Polyanthus (Primula)
- Sarcococca (Christmas box)
- Skimmia japonica
- Viburnum x bodnantense
- Viburnum tinus