What’s in Bloom Now? Garden Updates January 8 – 15
By Thea Hegland
2018 ended with a series of wicked storms that brought high winds and torrential rains. Trees and large branches came crashing down knocking out power and closing roads all around the area. But, somehow, despite the all the fury and potential for devastation, the Gardens themselves remained virtually intact.
January comes with the all the hopes and dreams of the New Year and the promise of the garden coming to life again. Little pockets of early winter flowering bulbs such as Galanthus (Snowdrop) and Narcissus (Daffodil) start to emerge and fragrant winter flowering shrubs surprise us with their heavenly scent. Sarcococca (Christmas box) with its creamy white tiny flowers that capture your attention only by scent and the brazen Hamamelis (Witch hazel) keep the Garden alive during the months of January and February.
Little pockets of early winter flowering bulbs such as Galanthus (Snowdrop) starting to appear.
Behind the scenes, this is a very intense week at The Gardens. The Christmas display is dismantled for another year as the dynamic Spring Prelude comes to fruition for tantalizing tease of season that lays ahead of the long winter. The stunning transformation of the Blue Poppy Restaurant becomes an oasis filled with spring flowering trees, shrubs, and bulbs. Beautifully designed fountains and a peaceful pond make this the perfect place to unwind and rejuvenate as we wait for the real thing to happen.
Peaceful pond inside the indoor Spring Prelude Garden.
Plants that are currently blooming
- Acer palmatum dissectum (Japanese maple)
- Anthurium (Flamingo flower)
- Aucuba japonica (Spotted laurel)
- Bellis (English daisy)
- Bergenia (Elephant’s ears)
- Correa (Australian fuchsia)
- Erica (Heather)
- Galanthus (Snowdrop)
- Garrya elliptica (Silk- tassel bush)
- Hamamelis (Witch hazel)
- Helleborus (Christmas rose)
- Ilex verticillata (Winterberry)
- Jasminium nudiflorum (Winter jasmine)
- Mahonia x media ‘Charity’ (Oregon grape)
- Nandina domestica (Heavenly bamboo)
- Ophiopogon planiscapus (Black mondo grass)
- Pieris (Lily-of-the valley shrub)
- Polyanthus (Primula)
- Sarcococca (Christmas box)
- Skimmia japonica
- Viburnum x bodnantense
- Viburnum tinus