Chef’s Recipe: Red Lentil Roll & Vegan Gluten Free Brownie
Gluten Free & Vegan Brownie
- Coconut oil
300ml | 1¼ cup (less 1 tsp)
- Semi-sweet chocolate callets
430 grams | 2½ cups
- Flax seed (ground)
21 grams | 2½ tbsp
74 ml | 5 tbsp
150 grams | ¾ cup (less 1 tsp)
- All purpose gluten free flour*
125 grams | 3/4 cup
- Baking powder
6 grams | 1½ tsp
- Melt coconut oil and chocolate over water bath.
- Add ground flax and water to mixing bowl. Stir to combine, and allow to sit for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Add sugar to flax mix. Stir to combine.
- Add melted coconut oil and chocolate mixture to sugar and flax mix. Stir to fully combine.
- Add gluten free flour. Stir to combine.
- Pour into 9 x 9 sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Cool and serve.
*Gluten Free Flour Blend
(makes approximately 1 kg)
- Tapioca flour
330 grams | 1 ½ Cups + 3 Tbsp
- Brown rice flour
390 grams | 2 Cups (less 2 Tbsp)
- Soy flour
280 grams | 1 ¾ Cup
Print recipe: Vegan and Gluten Free Brownie
Red Lentil Roll
- Red lentils
145 grams | 3/4 cup
- Vegan cheddar cheese
80 grams | 1/3 cup
- Red peppers
130 grams | 2/3 cup
- Garlic, puréed
7 grams | 1½ tsp
- Thyme, frozen
5 grams | 1 tsp
- Panko breadcrumbs
22 grams | 4 tsp
- Smoked paprika
6 grams | 1 tsp
- Fennel seed
8 grams | 1½ tsp
- Kosher salt
4 grams | 1 tsp
- Ground black pepper
2 grams | ½ tsp
- Fresh parsley (chopped finely)
- Puff pastry (12x18in)
- Cook lentils according to instructions on package.
- Mix all the ingredients by hand, making sure everything is well combined.
- Cook off a small sample to check for seasoning, adjust salt and pepper accordingly.
- To form the sausage roll centre (log), lay out a large length of cellophane and place the filling along the length of it.
- Form the filling into a log (rolling it “sushi-style”, using the cellophane in place of the sushi matt as a brace for the filling to be formed), then freeze in the cellophane. When frozen, remove the cellophane to leave a formed log of filling.
- Roll out pastry dough, and brush with an olive oil on the outer pastry edge where the seams will meet. Place frozen formed log in the centre of the rolled out dough; then roll pastry around the log. Cut into desired lengths. Brush outside of formed logs with more olive oil.
- Let sit at room temperature for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from bake sheet and let rest on paper towel to absorb any additional moisture.
- The sausage rolls can be baked the day before and reheated.
- Makes approximately 12 tea size sausage rolls.
Print recipe: Red Lentil Roll