Traffic Guide: What to Know About Arriving at Peak Times
There are a few times throughout the year when visitors arriving in their own vehicles may experience a wait at the gate. This typically happens prior to Firework Saturdays and select concerts in the summer, as well as close to Christmas day.
We put this guide together to answer frequently asked questions and help you navigate during these potentially busy times.
During a Special Event
When you check the summer entertainment calendar and see concerts labelled as a “Special Event”, it means advance tickets were sold and we anticipate a busy evening. This summer, the Special Event is Alan Doyle on July 18th.
- Follow #ButchartTraffic on twitter starting in the afternoon on Special Event days. If there is a wait at the gate, we will keep this feed updated with estimated wait times
- Visit our website. If we issue a traffic advisory, a notice will appear at the top of our website (compatible on all devices)
- Most importantly, arrive early! This year, advance tickets are sold out. If you wish to see the show, we recommend arriving in the afternoon (around 4:30 PM) as we could reach capacity closer to showtime.
On a Fireworks Saturday
We are pleased to host 10 fireworks shows on Saturdays throughout the summer. Due to their popularity, there is a chance you may experience a wait at the gate.
- If you have a dinner reservation in the Dining Room Restaurant, please allow extra time to arrive. If you find yourself stuck before getting through the admission gate, seek the attention of one of our staff who are out monitoring vehicles. They will do their best to help you get to dinner on time
- Take advantage of the full day. On Saturdays, your admission ticket includes Fireworks. Why not arrive early, see the beautiful summer blooms in the daylight, perhaps take a boat tour, watch the evening entertainment, then remain at The Gardens for the Fireworks show?
- If there is a vehicle line leading up to the admission gate, you will see us update #ButchartTraffic on twitter. If you don’t hear from us there, assume there is little to no wait at the gate
Close to Christmas
There’s something magical about Christmas at The Butchart Gardens. It is a longtime tradition for many families and friends to get in the festive spirit by enjoying the light display, and because of this there can be times when there is a wait at the admission gate.
- Consider visiting earlier in December. Typically, we experience the busiest evenings on the days leading up to Christmas Day
- Watch our website. If we issue a traffic advisory, a notice will appear at the top of our website (compatible on all devices)
- Follow #ButchartTraffic on twitter starting around 4:00 PM. If there is a wait at the gate, we will keep this feed updated with estimated wait times
For more information about accessing The Gardens, please visit our FAQ page.